Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Pistols


This is the twelfth and final track of "El Pistola del Corazon" by Las Reatas, appropriately entitled "Pistols" We broke with the usual manner of composition in this one as Glam had already written most if not all of the song by the time I had arrived at his house. He had done it in 3/4 waltz time and it was fairly slow and folky and I quite liked it that way and suggested we record it as is. Glam, however, insisted it could be done in 4/4 time and much faster. Although I had my doubts, I agreed and added a little intro section so as to leave some space between the lyrics. Initially, Glam had a little trouble re-timing his lyrics to the extra beat, but eventually managed to knock it out. The aforementioned lyrics refer back to trip he took to a racetrack with his first love Magnolia Bloom and her brothers and some friends. For the video, I was almost ready to leave Victoria for Toronto and we still had no videos for Pistols and Bobby Stints but had the brilliant idea that instead of a labourious collection of stills and videos, we could just  play the track on the stereo and lip-sync the entire song in one shot. It turned out to be fairly easy to sync up the song with video and presto!....we had two videos done in a day and a half and had completed the entire song cycle before I had to go. The horses all ran!

No comments:

Post a Comment