Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Back to the Beginning

I have just realized that in my haste to get all the tunes up here, I had inadvertently forgotten to put up "lean and mean". This kinda sucks cuz it had a a connection to "morningstar" but more on that later. Anyway, since I've figured out how to make the videos bigger, I thought I would go back to the beginning and do some splainin' about the birth of the recording. When I got to Victoria last November I brought a laptop and mbox to do some recording with Glam. Unfortunately I had the wrong operating system, so as were glumly sitting around contemplating this, we turned on Glam's little 512MB memory macbook and opened up garageband. We quickly surmised we were able to record acoustic guitar and a boom whap beat at whatever speed we wanted, so I came up with a fast and silly punk rock progression and recorded it somewhere north of 160 BPM's. Having no lyrics, Glam obliged to do a little melodic wandering in the chorus with something he quickly scribbled, but I. who was already a couple of ales to the good, suggested to Glam that I should resurrect my scottish rapper alter ego, MCscottfree for this tune. I had just recently finished reading James Kelman's How late it was,how late and so I decided to base the lyrics on the protagonist Sammy, who is blinded by some Glaswegian "sodjers" or cops if you prefer. This get's me off the hook for any vulgarities uttered in the context of the character...it's certainly not me talkin...no way...
  
Anyway after a couple of takes and some beastie boy doubles, Glam and I had our first Garageband insta-classic. You can hear all the beginners luck in here...guitars drop out, theres one part where I play the completely wrong chords and I hadn't figured out how to edit all the guitar effect noise out before the song starts. Well, all the mistakes still there so enjoy, in all it's bedraggled glory, the first track of "La Pistola del Corazon"...."FAT LIP BOYS"

p.s. I have no idea what the title means, it just came to me while singing....me and Glam got skinny lips

No comments:

Post a Comment