Sunday, May 22, 2011

Morningstar and Lean an' Mean Together Forever


MORNINGSTAR


LEAN AN' MEAN


        Well, I've finally gotten around to my excuse for re-posting all the songs. The tune above I had inadvertently forgotten to include which is weird because it was supposed to follow the song "Morningstar" in sequence. The reason: that vocal hook/chorus that comes right at the end of it had so enamoured Glam and I that we decided we needed to include it in the intro of our next masterpiece, a snappy little number called "Lean an' Mean". It didn't matter that the new song was in the key of A versus G, we just transposed it up a note and re-sang it in the intro to the new song. I have personally never employed such a songwriting trick before and am not really aware of anyone else doing it either because it's kinda weird, but maybe I'm wrong and it is very commonly done.

       Anyway, the first tune was patched together in pieces, with the stolen bits coming mostly courtesy of the Flaming Groovies, whose crazy singer, Roy A Loney, I was trying to imitate in in the boogie down/grunting and screaming section.Glam arrived back at the house and the only space really left for singing was in the bridge so he quickly scribbled some dribbles and launched right into it. The resulting "scary voice" was one I had not heard Glam employ before but I liked it because it kinda frightened me. We had the song pretty well done when for some reason we thought we should sing over the one non vocalized section of music still left. The result was the "morningstar" chorus mentioned above. Glam and I now deemed this the best part of the song and I suggested we include it the next tune as well, just because I wanted to hear it again. And we did just that, as you can hear above. The results were somewhat mixed, but who cares really, it's all in the doing.

      There is a further incestuousness to the song in that I only had enough lyrics for the verses and nothing for second part so I scooped up one of Glam scribbles entitled "tree song" or something and sang the words over the that section of the song. It was good enough for me but if you listen to whole song cycle ( a daunting task I know) you will hear these lyrics pop up repeatedly, most specifically in the tune"Tree Song" but not limited to that one.

       I think the flicks stem from the first actual video footage from the trusty LG cellphone. Up until then we had been using the six-shooter function to get continuous footage, but assembling it the movie maker was labourious at best. It happened to be Chinese New Year in old Victoria so that's where the footage comes from. The lean an mean stuff is shot on the bike trail up to Thetis Lake, the "galloping goose" as it's known.

       Well, that's the fascinating tale behind the pairing, and should we ever release this ragged collection, they are going to have to be sequenced thusly....there's an awkward sentence for ya

       "All I want is the morningstar"


       


  
   
      



        



No comments:

Post a Comment